THE STAFFORDSHIRE AND SUSSEX FAMILIES
OF THE TEVERSAL BRANCH
Temp. Henry V. to George III.
gentleman, who died 24th April, 1723, and who by his first wife, Mary,
had two sons—Thomas, babtized 26th July, 1669, and Richard, babtized
10th September, 1685—besides three daughters, Margaret, Mary, and
Elizabeth. By his second wife, Hannah, he had six sons, John, Daniel, William, Thomas,
Joseph, and Richard, besides a daughter, Hannah.
Daniel, the eldest surviving son of the above-named Richard and Hannah Molineux,
settled in Dublin. Nichols mentions that Hanna, daughter and heiress of Daniel Molineux,
of Dublin, iron merchant, married in 1756 Thomas Marston, of Willenhall and Dublin,
and that their granddaughter, Hannah Marston, married Edward D'Oyly, of the family
of D'Oyly, of Shottinham, Co. Norfolk.
Joseph, the fifth son of the said Richard Molineux, married, apparently as his second
wife, Mary, daughter of Thomas Birch, of Lapley, Staffordshire, gentleman. By his
will, proved in 1773, he charged his copyhold estate within the manor of Hampstead,
in the said county, with the sum of £1,000 for the benefit of his children by his
John (vide Chapter II. Page 52), second surviving son of Darcy Molineux, of Mansfield,
Co. Notts, and great-grandson of Sir Francis Molineux, of Teversal, Bart., settled
in wolverhampton at the commencement of the eighteenth century, where he engaged
in the iron trade, and where Thomas, his eldest son, was born, on the 17th
March, 1704, being babtized on the 22nd of the same month. By his wife,
Mary, who died in 1735, he had, besides Thomas, four other sons, Richard, John,
Joseph, and Benjamin—and three daughters, Anne, Mary, and Elizabeth. He died
in 1754; and was buried in the Church of St. Peter, Wolverhampton. He was the immediate
ancestor of the eldest branch of the Staffordshire Molineuxes and of the family
seated at Lewes in Sussex.
Thomas, the eldest son the the said John Molineux, married on the 5th
August, 1732, at St. Paul's Cathedral, London, Margaret, daughter of ——
Gisborne, by whom he had nine sons and three daughters, all of whom, with the exception
of John (born 14th May, 1736), Benjamin (who died unmarried, 12th
December, 1782), Richard, and Thomas Gisborne (born 12th June, 1747),
died in infancy.
Margaret, widow of Thomas Molineux, died 25th August, 1791, and was buried
in the family vault built by Richard Molineux in Tettenhall, near Wolverhampton,
her funeral being attended by her son, Thomas Gisborne Molineux, her grandson Thomas
Gisborne Molineux, her nephew George Molineux, of Molineux House, Wolverhampton,
Isaac Scott, and Lewis Clutterbuck, of Ford House, Wolverhampton. The following
obituary notice appeared at the time in a Wolverhampton newspaper: "Died, at
the advanced age of eighty-two, Mrs. Molineux, of Queen Street, relict of Mr. Thomas
Molineux, who, being the elder branch of a most respectable and ancient family in
this township, was, in her conduct to her relations, to her acquaintances, and to
the objects of charity around her, an exemplary pattern of every virtue."
John, eldest son of Thomas and Margaret Molineux, married Margaret, widow of ——
Walker, of Wolverhampton, and had issue two daughters, the elder of whom, Sarah
Gisborne, by her marriage with Isaac Scott, of Wolverhampton, had an only child,
Margaretta, who died, unmarried, 9th January, 1852. Mary Ann, the younger
daughter, married John Lingard, of Wolverhampton, by whom she had issue a son, John,
and two daughters, Sarah Gisborne, wife of Charles S. Stokes, of Murrell's End,
Newent, Gloucestershire, and Mary Ann, who died unmarried. John Molineux died 28th
Richard, the third surviving son, married his cousin, Mary, second daughter of Benjamin
Molineux, of Wolverhampton, and died September, 1784, leaving three daughters, the
eldest of whom, Mary Ann, became the wife of James Clutterbuck, of Hyde House, Co.
Gloucester, a Justice of the Peace and Deputy Lieutenant for the county. Caroline,
the second daughter, married Robert, son of Brian Hodgson, of Swinscoe, Staffordshire,
and had issue an only son, Robert Molineux, and two daughters, Caroline and Ellen.
The youngest daughter, Elizabeth, married Thomas Brooke.
Thomas Gisborne, ninth and youngest son of Thomas and Margaret Molineux, settled
in London as a merchant, and died there 13th May, 1807, leaving by his
wife, Mary, daughter of —— Brice, two surviving sons—Thomas Gisborne,
who died without issue the 15th May, 1840, and Francis—and a daughter,
Ann, married 13th November, 1803 to Joseph Rhodes, of London, merchant,
and a captain in the London Volunteers, by whom she had issue an only daughter,
Mary Ann, who became the wife of William Fawcett, solicitor, Yarm-on-Tees, Yorkshire.
William Rhodes, the eldest son, of the Grange, Stainton in Cleveland, married Rosalie,
daughter of Claude de Queiros, of Calcutta. Marianne, the second daughter, became
the wife of Anthony Temple, of Kington, Herefordshire, son of the Rev. W.S. Temple,
of Daisdale, Co. Durham.
Francis Molineux was born 14th September, 1785, and in 1803, when eighteen
years of age, held a commission as lieutenant in the London Volunteers. He afterwards
embarked in business as a merchant in London, and on the 13th October,
1819, married his cousin, Sarah, fourth daughter of Joseph Molineux, banker, of
Lewes, Co. Sussex. He died 15th March, 1852, leaving two sons, Gisborne
and Francis (who died unmarried in 1850), and one daughter, Mary Elizabeth.
Gisborne Molineux, the eldest son, as born at his father's residence in James Street,
Buckingham Gate, Westminster, and was educated under a private tutor. He received,
in 1856, the appointment of secretary to the Canada Company, and took an active
part in the formation of the Royal Colonial Institute, of which he is a fellow and
member of council. On the 3rd April, 1872, the members of the Canada
Club, in recognition of his services as honorary secretary, and "in token of
their regard," presented him with a silver vase and two cups. He is the eldest
male representative of both the Teversal and Staffordshire branches of the family.
Richard, the second son of John and Mary Molineux, of Wolverhampton, came to London,
and established himself in business in Cateaton Street, now Gresham Street. He appears
to have taken an interest in civic affairs, and was elected a common councilman
for the ward of Cripplegate, of which ward he was subsequently appointed deputy.
He married Sarah Gisborne, sister to Margaret, wife of his brother, Thomas Molineux,
and had issue an only child, Mary, who was married 24th June, 1750, to
Captain George Barber, of Somerford Hall, Brewood, Co. Stafford, son and heir of
Robert Barber, of the Inner Temple, M.P. for Stamford, 1747, her father giving her
a dowry of £7,000. Richard Molineux died in 1762. His widow, who dialed in 1770,
bequeathed her copyhold estate held of the manor of Gaines, near Upminster, Essex,
to her sister, Margaret Molineux; her diamond rings and silver plate to be divided
between her sisters, the said Margaret, and Mary Blagden.
John, the third son, settled at Gainsborough, Co. Lincoln, and married a daughter
of —— Wass, by whom he left issue two daughters, the eldest of whom,
Sarah, married Richard Slaney, of Hatton, Co. Salop, youngest son of Robert Aglionby
Slaney, Barrister-at-Law, by whom she had four sons, John Molineux, Moreton Aglionby,
Richard, and Charles Plowden; and a daughter, Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. Charles
Buckeridge. Their granddaughter, Mary, daughter of Moreton Aglionby Slaney, became
the wife of Mr. Russell, afterwards the Right Honourable Sir John Pakington, Bart.,
G.C.B., P.C., D.C.L., M.P., created in 1874 Baron Hampton, of Hampton Lovett and
Westwood, Co. Worcester. Elizabeth Molineux, the younger daughter of John Molineux,
died unmarried in 1801, and by her will dated 15th August, 1796, bequeathed
the bulk of her property, amounting to £10,000, in trust for her great-niece, Mary
Joseph, the fourth son, born in 1713, settled in Lewes, Sussex, in 1738, and engaged
in the iron trade, at that period one of the staple industries of the county, was
appointed Receiver-General of Stamps and Taxes, and on two occasions, in 1745 and
1764, was chosen to fill the office of High Constable of the borough. He died in
1771, and was buried in the churchyard of St. Michael's, Lewes. By his wife, Ann,
daughter of Dr. Brett, and granddaughter of John Apsley, of Pulborough, he had three
sons, John, Richard, and Joseph, and three daughters, Cordelia (who died unmarried,
whilst on a visit at Molineux House, Wolverhampton), Ann (who also died unmarried),
and Elizabeth (wife of A. Verrall, of Lewes).
Joseph Molineux the younger, born at Lewes, 7th March, 1754, became a
partner in the firm of Johnston, Molineux & Co., paper manufacturers, Isfield,
and one of the founders of "The Old Bank," Lewes, an institution that
has for nearly a century maintained its position as the leading bank for the eastern
division of the county. He married, 2nd December, 1777, at St. John's
Church, Lewes, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas West, of Southover, by whom, who died
20th July, 1815, he had three sons, Francis, Joseph, and George, besides
nine daughters—Elizabeth, wife of C. Chitty, of Lewes; Cordelia, wife of Job
Smallpeice, of Northbrook, Co. Surrey; Sarah, wife of Francis Molineux, of London;
Jane, wife of Joseph Browne, of Holcombe House, Gloucestershire; Maria, wife of
Henry Sparkes, of Summerbery, Shalford, Co. Surrey; Grace, wife of William Browne,
of Minchinhampton, Co. Gloucester; and three who died in infancy. Joseph Molineux
died at Lewes after a short illness in 1813. His only surviving son, George, born
17th March, 1792, succeeded his father as a partner in the "Old
Bank," and was made a magistrate for the county. By his wife, Frances, daughter
of Thomas Ramsay, of London, he had issue George, Joseph, Thomas, Frederick, Charles,
Henry and Apsley Brett; Frances, married 22nd July, 1840, to her cousin,
Job Smallpeice, of Field Place, Compton, Surrey; Cordelia, married in January, 1853,
to Joseph Ewart, of Manchester; and Elizabeth, who died in youth. He died at his
residence in Lewes, 27th January, 1855, and was succeeded by his eldest
son, George, born 6th August, 1816, as a banker, and a magistrate for
George Molineux married, first, Maria Ann, only child of the Rev. Joseph Hurlock,
M.D., and M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, and coheir of the Rev. Fitzherbert Potter,
of Chertsey (grandson of Archbishop Potter), and had issue on daughter, Mildred
Constance, and five sons—George Fitzherbert, Charles Hurlock, Vicar of St.
James, Derby, Philip Horace, of Malling House, near Lewes, banker, and Treasurer
for the Eastern Division of Sussex.
Arthur Ellison, born at Lewes, 5th February, 1846, and educated at Winshester
and Christchurch, Oxford, where he graduated in honours in the Law and History School,
and took the usual degrees of B.A. and M.A. Among his friends and contemporaries
were Earl Percy, Sir John Conroy, Bart., Hon. W. F. Littleton, Walter Phillimore,
Hon. H. Stanhope, C. H. Berners, and F. W. Verney. He married, 16th July,
1874, Eleanor Margaret, fourth daughter of Matthew Bell, J.P. and D.L., of Bourne
Park, Kent, High Sheriff of the county 1850, by whom he has two daughters, Agnes
Irene, born 6th May, 1877, and Evelyn Margaret, born 13th
April, 1881. He received ordination on 13th March, 1874, at the hands
of Dr. Philpott, Bishop of Worcester, and was licensed to the curacy of Hagley.
In 1877 he was instituted to the vicarage of Maiden Bradley, Wilts, on the presentation
of the Dean and Chapter of Christchurch, Oxford.
Harold Parminter, born at Lewes, 16th April, 1850, and educated at Winchester
and Sandhurst. He subsequently joined the 56th, now the "Essex"
Regiment (the Pompadours) as ensign, with which regiment he served some time in
India. He was gazetted lieutenant on the 24th June, 1871, and captain
the 4th October, 1878. In 1881 he was selected by H.R.H. the Field Marshall
Commanding in Chief, for the Adjutancy of the 4th Essex R. V. Corps.
On the 4th January, 1881, he married Rosa, Eugenie Katherine, second
daughter of Henry King, J.P., of Isfield Place, Uckfield, Sussex, by whom he has
a daughter, Dorothy Eugenie, born 9th November, 1881.
Maria Ann Molineux died 11th March, 1875, and was buried in St. Michael's
Cemetery, at Lewes. There is a window dedicated to her memory in the chancel of
the church of St. Margaret, at Isfield.
George Molineux married, 12th July 1877, as his second wife, Cecil Harriet,
younger daughter of Samuel Henry Russell, H.E.I.C.S., and neice of Major Christopher
Robert Pemberton, J.P. and D.L., of Newton, Cambridgeshire.
In the "Doomsday Book" of 1876, compiled by authority of Parliament, "George
Molineux, of Lewes," is set down as the owner of 418 acres, 1 rood, and 16
perches, of which the estate formerly known as Moon's Farm, Isfield, comprising
about 120 acres, he inherited from his father. He subsequently purchased the small
property called Oaklands, in the same parish, and in 1878 he became the possessor
of the Mountfield estate at Lewes, including the Convent garden, and the ground
commonly known as the "Dripping Pan," besides several farms, containing
in the aggregate about 366 acres, in the parishes of Warbleton and Hurstmonceaux.
In 1880 he became the purchaser of the property known as Barcombe Mill Farm, situate
in Barcombe, Sussex.
Joseph, second son of George Molineux, senior, married 20th October,
1857, Caroline, daughter of the Rev. E. Symons, Rector of Ringmer, Sussex, and died
in 1876, leaving several daughters.
Thomas, the third son, S.C.L. of Trinity College, Oxford, was some time Rector of
Charles, the fifth son, and Apsley Brett, the youngest, both died unmarried.
Benjamin Molineux, fifth and youngest son of John Molineux the elder, of Wolverhampton,
established himself as a merchant and banker in his native town, and died in 1772
at his residence, Molineux House, leaving by his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of ——
Fieldhouse, an only son, George, and two daughters, the eldest of whom, Sarah, became
the wife of Lewis Clutterbuck, of Ford House, Byshbury, Wolverhampton, second son
of Daniel Clutterbuck, a banker at Bath, and nephew of Bryan Edwards, M.P. Mary,
the second daughter, married her cousin, Richard Molineux, banker, of Wolverhampton.
George, only son of Benjamin Molineux, succeeded his father as a banker and iron
merchant at Dudley and Wolverhampton. He was a magistrate for Staffordshire, and
filled the ofice of High Sheriff for the county in 1791, being the first inhabitant
of Wolverhampton upon whom the honour was conferred, the next instance being that
of James Hordern, Esq., partner in the banking house of Hordern, Molineux &
Co., who filled the office in 1823. George Molineux married Jane, daughter of ——
Robinson, and died at Molineux House, 22nd September, 1820, leaving issue:—George
Fieldhouse, of whom hereafter; Benjamin, who died unmarried; John Edmondson, who
died 23rd February, 1851, unmarried; Richard, who died at Ryton in 1841;
William Hamilton, Vicar of Sheriff Hales, Co. Stafford (to which living he was presented
in 1823 by the Marquis of Stafford), Perpetual Curate of Acton and Bednal, in the
same county, and a Prebendary of the Collegiate Church of St. Peter, Wolverhampton,
who died, unmarried, 29th September, 1831; Charles Henry, banker at Dudley
and Wolverhampton, and a Justice of the Peace for the counties of Stafford and Worcester,
who died at Bath, unmarried, the 11th February, 1848; and three daughters,
Harriet, Sarah, and Sophia, who all died unmarried.
George Fieldhouse Molineux, M.A. of Christchurch, Oxford, was presented to the rectory
of Ryton, Co. Salop, in 1798, which he held for upwards of forty years; he also
held the perpetual curacy of Acton Fussell, Co. Stafford, to which he was instituted
in 1806; was Prebendary of Wobaston, in the Collegiate Church of St. Peter, Wolverhampton,
one of the chaplains to George IV. And a magistrate for Staffordshire. He was also
one of the trustees of the Wolverhampton Free Grammar School. He died the 30th
September, 1840, and was buried at Ryton. By his wife, Maria, daughter of William
Hardman, of Manchester, he had issue—
George William, of Middleton, Co. Lancaster, ob. 1846 unmarried.
William Hardman, senior fellow of Clare Hall, Cambridge, and Rector of Elmsett,
Suffolk, who married Elizabeth, second daughter of Edward Pemberton, J.P., of Plas
Issa, Co. Flint, by whom he had two sons, William Pemberton and George William Frank
(of Trinity College, Doublin, Curate of Oakford, Devonshire); and a daughter, Emily
Thomas, of Beechfield, Bowden, Co. Cheshire, silk spinner, who married Mary, daughter
of William Lomas, of Manchester, and had issue—Thomas Hardman, George William,
John, Emily (married 3rd February, 1874, to the Rev. John Barrett Faussett,
M.A.), Fanny, Eliza, and Alice Mary (married in 1869 to the Rev. John Trew, son
of the Venerable —— Trew, Archdeacon of the Bahammas).
John Hardman, of Normanton, Co. York, who married Sarah, daughter of ——
Shiston, and died in 1875, without issue.
Charles Edward, of whom hereafter.
James Hardman, who died in 1817.
Richard Henry, who died in 1833.
Maria, who died inmarried in 1853.
Emily, wife of the Rev. John Lomas, of Manchester, merchant, who died a widow, April,
1880, leaving a son, George Henry, who married 14th August, 1873, Mary
Elizabeth, daughter of Dr. Bluett, of the Isle of Man.
Eliza Jane, and Fanny, both unmarried.
Charles Edward Molineux, of Oakley, near Penkridge, Co. Stafford, was born at Ryton
Rectory, and received his education at Brewood Grammar School. He passed his examination
for the profession of a solicitor, but never practised. In 1860 he joined the 27th
(Patshull) Corps of the Staffordshire Rifle Volunteers, of which he was a lieutenant
until shortly before his death, and was a Justice of the Peace for Worcestershire
and Staffordshire. He married, 15th March, 1845, Jane, only daughter
of Orson Bidwell, of Albrighton, Co. Salop, by whom he had issue an only child,
Mary Jane, wife of Frederick Staples Browne, barrister-at-law, J.P., of Brashfield
House, Bicester, Oxfordshire. Charles Edward Molineux died at Oakley, the 3rd
of November, 1880, in his seventieth year, and was buried at Albrighton. The funeral
cortege was met at Donnington Bridge by all the non-commissioned officers
of the Putshull Volunteers, and by a number of private carriages, including that
of the Earl of Dartmouth.
The family residence of the Molineuxes at Wolverhampton, known as Molineux House,
was purchased by Benjamin Molineux in 1744, and from him descended to his son George;
at which time Shaw, in his History of Staffordshire, mentions it as "a
large house with excellent gardens, commanding a beautiful view of Tettenhall and
the adjoining country." Pitt also, in his Topographical History of the
county, published in 1817, states that beyond the house built by the Giffords of
Chillington, "is another spacious mansion with excellent walled gardens, which
commands a beautiful prospect to the west, and is the residence of the Molineux
Charles Henry, youngest son of George Molineux, purchased the property of the treustees
under his father's will. At his death, in 1848, it passed to his brother, John Edmonson
Molineux, by whom it was subsequently sold.
The building for the South Staffordshire Exhibition, at Wolverhampton, opened by
Lord Granville 11th May, 1869, was erected on an elevated part of the
ground above the terrace, adjoining the house.